Every October, we see pink everywhere to raise awareness of breast cancer, which is the most common type of cancer in our country. One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, and an estimated 234,000 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in 2015 alone. Clearly, breast cancer is a major health problem in our country and affects a huge number of women and their families. Our Sip + Support partner for October, Breast Cancer Angels, help to address the ancillary needs of those who are currently in treatment for breast cancer.
Breast Cancer Angels operates in Southern California, with assistance available for women with Stage 4 cancer located in Long Beach/South Bay, Orange County and San Diego. All donations are processed regionally so all money raised by our Sip + Support program at CUCINA enoteca Irvine and CUCINA enoteca Newport Beach will directly help women and families in Orange County, and likewise money raised at CUCINA urbana and CUCINA enoteca Del Mar will assist women and families in San Diego.
Breast Cancer Angels’ programs include:
- FOOD PROGRAM – BCA provides gift cards to the market of the client’s choice; the dollar amount depends on family size and need. The average per household is $250 per month.
- HOUSING NEEDS – BCA assists with emergency housing costs, up to $500 per month, for women in treatment for metastatic breast cancer and women struggling to complete treatment so they can return to work.
- CLOTHES AND OTHER NEEDS – BCA provides gift cards to local stores for the needs of children in the home.
- MEDICAL CO-PAYS & COBRA COSTS – This aid is provided as needed to ensure no one loses their insurance in the middle of treatment and prescriptions are filled.
- TRANSPORTATION – Gas cards or bus passes are provided to help transport women to treatments.
- HOME HEALTH CARE & FINAL EXPENSE – Short-term home health care and final expenses are provided as needed.
- SECOND OPINION FUND – Jerry & Patti Walsh established a Second Opinion Fund in memory of their daughter, Dayna. A second opinion can improve the chance of survival.
- SCHOLARSHIP FUND – Financially assists young people whose lives are affected by their mother’s breast cancer.
- HOLIDAY PARTY FOR CLIENTS – Each year a Holiday Party at Boomer’s Amusement Park in Fountain Valley is held for clients and their families. All families attending receive gifts, craft time and tokens to participate in games. A visit from Santa & Mrs. Claus is the highlight!
- SOCIAL WORKER – Breast Cancer Angels has a paid social worker who helps clients find additional resources. Home visits assess client needs.
- LEGAL ASSISTANCE – Pro bono attorneys assist clients with custody and other legal issues.
You can help us raise money for this great organization, as we’ll donate $1 for every glass, bottle or carafe of CUCINA private label wine you sip throughout October. We also encourage you to visit the Breast Cancer Angels’ website to learn more about their work, and follow them on Facebook and Twitter. CIN CIN!